{ Get A Grip } | X-T1+SanDisk.Honeymoon.At.Yosemite

Yosemite.

Every time I hear, read, glimpse, view, see, feel, or breathe the essence of the word "Yosemite," I come alive.  I guess I should say that I am fortunate to be living within a relatively short driving distance away from this magical place.  So naturally, when the X-T1 came knocking at my door [well, actually it was dropped off by the guy in brown at a local UPS store] my first thought to test out this bad boy was a weekend at Yosemite.

So off the three of us went:  the X-T1 with its new mate, the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II SD, and I.  It was a honeymoon of sorts...but not one second during the whole trip did I feel like I was a third wheel.  In fact, it was the opposite...I felt quite at home with the two. ;)

There is already quite a bit written about the technical awesomeness of this new Fujifilm arrival, and frankly, by more technically qualified reviewers than me. In this post, I will share some of my deeper "first impressions" of the X-T1 more from a user perspective.  So it is more of a behavioral review rather than that of the specs.  And more of a personal narrative than anything.


The Journey.

The forecast told me that it was going to snow last weekend.  So I prepared accordingly, but the X-T1 remained "naked."  After all, the engineering gods mentioned that this was their first venture into the freeze-proof, water-proof, shock-proof mirrorless world.  And I thought that it was appropriate to take the X-T1 as is...I, on the other hand, prepared for several layers of clothing.  Consciously, however, I did realize that my X-T1 would be a bit vulnerable as Fuji has yet to release their similarly x-proof lenses ("x" being the elements).  Nonetheless, I decided to bring the usual "prime" suspects:  the 35mm, 23mm, 14mm, and the "kit" 18-55mm, into the cold, dark, snowy and wet enchantment that is Yosemite National Park.

I managed to capture the aftermath of the short but crazy storm on the way up.  The X-T1 performed beautifully in the dark and focus was fast and crisp, even in the midst of a difficult operation - shooting with one hand while managing a sliding 4-wheel-drive Toyota FJ that I was riding.


The.Way.There.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 23mm 1.4R


The Morning After.

The snow storm left - it seems - as fast as it had arrived and was primarily hitting the upper mountain regions.  By the time I checked in to the cabin at the Yosemite Lodge down in the valley, the snow had become rain as temperatures were several degrees warmer above freezing.  But the rain persists and would continue to do so throughout the night into the next morning.

I did manage to capture this image of the “cabin” room close to midnight using the 18-55mm "kit" lens, which performed beautifully even in the rain.  Again, in low light conditions the X-T1’s focusing performance was flawless, especially when the focus points was placed in one of the 16 phase-detect sensors.


The. Cabin.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 18-55mm "Kit" Lens


The Hike Around The Valley.

The mountain breeze must have awaken me, because though tired that I was from the long drive, I ended up being wide awake slightly before 6 a.m.  I thought to myself that I might as well get up and start walking around the valley floor.   I may even get a glimpse of sunrise, but alas, it was wet and gray outside.  Instead of doing a major hike, I ended up going to the meadows and found myself in awe of the wondrous early morning fog of Yosemite.  It was quite and serene.


One.With.The.Fog.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 14mm 2.8R


By mid-morning, the Sun has finally broken through the clouds.  The freshly fallen snow started to melt and make its way to join the rain.  Yosemite Falls was flowing at full speed – a somewhat less than usual event that would happen in February.  So I decided to head out there with the X-T1 and do a quick hike to the Lower Yosemite Falls before lunch time.  It was during this hike that I began to really observe the ergonomics of the X-T1.  It was somewhat different with my X-Pro1 or X-E1 because the X-T1 now has a dedicated ISO button.

This is both a blessing and a curse…well, maybe not so much of a curse – but it’s certainly different than what I was previously used to.  Previously on the “rangefinder-styled” X-cousins I would simply use my right index finger to press the Fn button next to the camera trigger and use my thumb to change the value when I finally accessed the ISO menu.  I can usually do this while I still my eyes pressed against the viewfinder – composing the shot.  With the X-T1, however, I have to pull my eyes from the camera and utilize both hands to change the ISO:  the left hand to hold the camera, and the right hand and it’s thumb and middle finger to turn the ISO know, while the index finger presses on the lock button to release it.  Not a big deal.  But definitely something for me to get used to and by the end of the trip, frankly, I was.

Here’s an image of the Lower Yosemite Falls.


Where.Heaven.Meets.Earth.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 23mm 1.4R


Flows.Of.Life.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 23mm 1.4R


Divine.Reflections.Upon.Mirror.Lake.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 14mm 2.8R

I also experienced what others already called out in the blogosphere.  The "arrow buttons" on the back of the X-T1 seemed less tactile than that of my X-Pro1 or X-E1.  It took a bit getting used to, especially when one wears gloves.  I suppose Fuji wanted these buttons to be less prone to accidental trigger and may have listened to other photographers that wanted it so.  It wasn't a deal breaker, though, and by the end of the hike I was already getting used to being a bit more conscious when pressing the buttons.

During this hike across the Yosemite Valley, I found that the X-T1 to be too “short” for my medium sized hands.  Let me explain.  Both my X-Pro1 and X-E1 are fitted with Gariz’ leather case.  These cases have a sturdy metal bottom that adds about ¼ of an inch to the bottom of it.  As such, when shooting with them, both my “pinky” and ring fingers would have a comfortable place to rest on.  With the X-T1 shorter height, however, both of these fingers didn’t have a place to rest upon.

So, one thing is clear for me…I need to get a grip. ;)

The vertical grip, that is. Hence the title of this blog post.  ;)

Until next time, here's one last shot taken later in the afternoon when Lady Sun was kind enough to shine her light upon the valley. Happy Shooting!


The.Cathedral.Of.God.

Taken with: Fujifilm X-T1 | Fujinon 23mm 1.4R


UPDATE I:  I will update on a subsequent post on a couple other features that I like on the X-T1 and also how the continuous shooting on the X-T1 performed...especially with the SanDisk UHS-II card.

UPDATE II:  I got the vertical grip preordered from Amazon.  Looks like they started shipping last week, so I should be getting mine shortly. :)







___________

Leave a Reply